[linux-audio-user] RT Sound manipulation (aka effect rack :)

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 06:27:00 EDT 2003

--- Adrian Gschwend <ktk at datacomm.ch> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My cousin is working in a company that does a lot of
> audio/video
> streaming solutions based on Linux systems. Now they
> look for an
> application which provides similar things like SOX
> but in real time.
> They would like to record on the input, manipulate
> it via GUI
> (Eqalizer, effects...) and send it directly to the
> output.

I think the video world calls it sweetening which is
what audio people refer to as mastering. So the
effects for broadcast aren't echo or distortion.
They're eq, compression, limiting, output volume.

> Are there any recommendations for this kind of Linux
> software?

If I'm correct about what your cousin is doing,
broadcast audio--live or recorded, then JAMin
(jamin.sourceforge.net) is the correct solution.

JAMin is a mastering/sweetening tool that includes;
eq, three band compression, limiting, output stage and
crossover. It will definitely help raise the floor for
subtle sounds and hold the ceiling on louder sounds
while increasing overall output and you can stream
through it live. The objective is to process audio so
it sounds appropriate while being broadcast from a
pair of 2" television speakers.

You can to save presets that will apply to specific
rooms, mics and source types so it'd give you a
variety of starting points tailered to specifics.

JAMin is an incomplete beta stage tool but it'll do
everything you need for broadcast audio requirements
and it's as stable as your jackd environment. You'd be
well advised to design and carefully test a jack
solution. It's a low latency realtime data server and
on a poorly designed or configured system will cause
problems. IMO, a well designed system would cause
broadcast audio processing to become almost invisible.

ron