[linux-audio-user] A dumb Unix question about console output

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sat Jul 12 22:51:01 EDT 2003

On Saturday 12 July 2003 22:13, toby at tobiah.org wrote:
<  I mean, how would you like it if
> you typed 'ls', only to get back:
>
> ls: slow.wav

Ahh, I see your point now.

> Create an executable shell script in your path that looks like this:
>

> #***** SCRIPT *****
> function showme(){
>          while read foo
>                  do echo $1: $foo
>          done
> }
>
> $@ | showme $1
> #***** /SCRIPT *****
>
> I called mine, "identify".
>
> Now, let's test it with grep:
>
> sinewave:toby:toby> identify grep foo *
> grep: Binary file DSC00326.TIF matches
> grep: Binary file QtC-0.0.2.lsm matches
> grep: adf: afsdadsfadfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf toby adfadfadf foo
> grep: adf: print('myfoot', 'myfoot');
> grep: adf: print('yourfoot', 'yourfoot');
> grep: doit: while read foo
> grep: doit: do echo $1: $foo
>
> So, now stdout and stderr get prefixed with the name
> of the program.  Easy, yes?
>

> Tobiah

Well, ok, maybe easy, but still ...

I guess the answer to my original question is that, yes, people fire up a
seperate xterm for each audio app they launch :-)

I mean, I have a hard time believing that what you're describing is common
practice.

Thanks for your time! (really, thanks!)

Regards

Larry Troxler