[linux-audio-user] Multiple (delta xx) cards

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Mon Jul 14 13:42:01 EDT 2003

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 10:20:15AM -0700, toby at tobiah.org wrote:
> As for the Drum kit, I know it is desireable to
> record many channels of drum separately, but would
> it do to simply use say a Mackie 1402-VLZPro mixer
> to funnel the drum mics into two or three channels?

I'd actually reccomend that you start out recording a max of four
channels of drums.  Here are some reasons:

1) a max of four channels is a lot less complicated to learn on
2) a lot less mic position to play around with, but mic position can be
easier to hear.
3) you might be surprised at how great three channels on a kit can sound.

I run four channels to my drum kit - bass, snare, and two overheads.
I'm limited to four with my delta44, but I really don't think it's a
problem.  If I had more channels, I'd just record more of my band live
and not overdub as much.  Most of the time, I think the snare mic is me
being excessivly geeky ::-)

> If you get in a pinch, you can pick up a pair of
> Marshall MXL2003's for a very reasonable price, and
> in my limited experience yield a natural bright sound
> that would be very tough to match for the same price.

I've got a pair of MXL 990's for overheads and they are suprisingly
sweet.  I read quite a bit of rmmp and rap archives before choosing them
(since they were cheaper than a few other mics I could've bought), but
it really seems like people like them more.  They sound really great on
my kit, and only cost me $69 each!

In fact, there are often times I go with the 990's over a 57 - of course
your mileage and preferences may vary.

> If it is to be a $20 mic, I recommend the radio shack
> 33-3017.  I have a pair, and they don't compare well to
> the Marshall's, but they are also hard to match for the price.

33-3032's are way cheap now if you can find them (discontinued, I'm
afraid) and sound pretty good on toms and snare.  I bought a pair before
they dried up from the local RadioShacks for like eight bucks each.
Call around.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.