[linux-audio-user] tool for bass testing

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 16:31:01 EDT 2003

--- Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> Hallo,
> Lee Azzarello hat gesagt: // Lee Azzarello wrote:
>
> > On Monday, July 14, 2003, at 03:54  PM, Burkhard
> Ritter wrote:
> >
> > >On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Bryan Koschmann - GKT wrote:
> > >Any synth will do. I don't know which one is the
> 'best' (I haven't
> > >tested and played too much yet), but there are
> for example
> > >spiralsynth(modular), artsbuilder,...
> >
> > Get a mono synth, use a saw tooth or triangle
> wave, fiddle with the
> > cuttoff of the LPF and tweak the resonance to your
> liking. Stick a
> > compressor in front of it when you record. Good
> bass all around.
>
> I had this experiment lying around:
> http://footils.org/snd/bigbass.ogg
>
> Basically it's just like your suggestion, done in
> Pd. I used Steves
> SC1-compressor, but could someone suggest nice
> setting for bass
> compression?

Not familiar with SC1 but maybe it's similar to SC4?
It's all arbitrary and depends on the instruments
relationship with everything around it but this can
create a controlable instrument.
attack; 100
release; 650
threshold; -30
ratio; 4:1

Attack controls the amount of time it takes before the
compressor starts working.
Release how quickly it stops working
Threshold when it starts
ratio 1:1 level is one decibal in equals one decibal
out, 4:1 is four decibal in to cause one decibal
increase but when this occurs is dictated by the
Threshold.

So to test, ram the ratio to the extreme 20:1 and
throw the threshold up and down all the way. There
should be an output meter that shows gain reduction.
You'll see the meter report what you're causing and
that'll probably help you begin to hear what the
compressor is doing.

If you're talking about a bass drum and want that
beater slap then stick a gate infront of the
compressor and use the opening of the gate for
tonal/shaping--a tight threshold with a long decay.

I'm not familiar with SC1 but I know SC4 and it's an
effective compressor.

ron

 Somehow I didn't hear any difference.

______footils.org__