[linux-audio-user] tool for bass testing

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 17:22:01 EDT 2003

--- Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> R Parker hat gesagt: // R Parker wrote:
>
> > If you're talking about a bass drum and want that
> > beater slap then stick a gate infront of the
> > compressor and use the opening of the gate for
> > tonal/shaping--a tight threshold with a long
> decay.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with SC1 but I know SC4 and it's
> an
> > effective compressor.
>
> Thank you for your tips, I'll try them out. SC1
> doesn't have a
> sidechain, so controling it with a gate isn't
> possible, but I could
> try SC4 instead. Actually I was trying to get bass
> tones fatter with
> the compressor, so that they don't really fade out.

I was confused about the SC series anyway. My
familiarity is with what's in JAMin.

Reguardless you can put a distinct gate in front of
the compressor. But that's more of a drum thing.

Basically you're controling audio energy. If you turn
up the volume, the energy becomes chaotic. The setting
and principles should help out. I just looked and
there's meters for some of the SC compressors. They're
definitely helpful when learning to hear how a
particular compressor behaves. They're all different.

Incidentally, I use compression on almost everything
albeit it's often very little and sometimes it's just
for an added gain stage.

ron

______footils.org__