[linux-audio-user] ALSA virtual multi device for DIGI96/8

Reuben Martin MartinR at jbu.edu
Sun Jul 20 19:52:01 EDT 2003

I'm using an RME Digi96/8 PAD and I'm trying to configure ALSA so that when JACK loads it will provide transports to both the stereo device and the ADAT device on the card. I think the proper way to do this is by creating a virtual multi device but I can't find much info other than just an example on how to set it up. The multi device is easy enough to figure out, but I'm not quite sure how to set up the interleaved PCM stream correctly, the example given on the ALSA website is for a 4 channel setup and I need to set one up for 10 channels.

Here's my current .asoundrc:

pcm.rme_stereo {
	type hw
	card 0
	device 0
}

ctl.rem_stereo {
	type hw
	card 0
	device 0
}

pcm.rme_adat {
	type hw
	card 0
	device 1
}

ctl.rme_adat {
	type hw
	card 0
	device 1
}

pcm.multi {
	type multi;
	slaves.a.pcm rme_stereo;
	slaves.a.channels 2;
	slaves.b.pcm rme_adat;
	slaves.b.channels 8;
	bindings.0.slave a;
	bindings.0.channel 0;
	bindings.1.slave a;
	bindings.1.channel 1;
	bindings.2.slave b;
	bindings.2.channel 0;
	bindings.3.slave b;
	bindings.3.channel 1;
	bindings.4.slave b;
	bindings.4.channel 2;
	bindings.5.slave b;
	bindings.5.channel 3;
	bindings.6.slave b;
	bindings.6.channel 4;
	bindings.7.slave b;
	bindings.7.channel 5;
	bindings.8.slave b;
	bindings.8.channel 6;
	bindings.9.slave b;
	bindings.9.channel 7;
}

ctl.multi {
	type hw;
	card 0;
}

Also, if there is a better/easier way to do this please tell me.

-Reuben