[linux-audio-user] Newcomer to the list

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Mon Jul 21 23:53:01 EDT 2003

 > Here is where I _highley_ recommend the program 'sweep'.  No offense to the
 > authors of audacity, but I just find it to be a very clunky program to use.
 > Sweep is very very similar to the program 'soundforge' on win32.  It has
 > recently been jackified thanks to Torbin Hohn (thanks Torbin!).  You have to
 > download his patches to sweep which you can find on the linux-audio-dev
 > mailing list.  Anyway, here is the link to sweep:

Sweep has a great interface, but it still has one significant
downside: all the audio is loaded into memory.  This prevents
the effective editing of large soundfiles or sessions unless you
have a ton of memory (or it will swap all over you).  For smaller
files, like a single stereo song, it works great.

jlc