[linux-audio-user] EMI 6|2m

Werner Johansson wj at yodel.net
Wed Jul 23 13:22:00 EDT 2003

Well, the issue with the Emagic cards is that they are not USB
Audio-compliant when initially powered on, the only thing it can do is to
receive a "soft" firmware from the host computer, and this firmware handles
the USB Audio interface (the USB interface chip that Emagic uses has this
loader functionality built in, and it's easier to have the driver supply the
firmware than to have it stored in flash memory in the Emagic box). I use
the 2|6 myself (more or less the reverse of yours, two inputs and 6 outputs,
no midi though), and that card has got it's firmware loader built into the
later kernels (late 2.4, all 2.5), but I haven't seen anything about the
6|2m... Ofcourse there has to be a different firmware loaded - this will
have to be supplied from Emagic (see http://www.vtoy.fi/~tapio/emi26.html
for the text about 2|6. When there's firmware out it would be trivial to add
that to the same Emagic loader code already in the kernel for the 2|6..

I really like the 2|6, down to 64-sample periods even with all 8 channels
driven (44.1kHz 16-bit * 6 output and 44.1kHz 16-bit input * 2).

/Werner