[linux-audio-user] Direct In

Chris grooveman at comcast.net
Fri Jul 25 10:10:00 EDT 2003

Hello.

I am something of an old-school rocker, not so much of a
digital-techno-looper (although that stuff sounds fun too).  I am
curious to hear how you guitarists out there handle your sound.  Do you
all go direct in now?  Or do some of you still mic your cabnet?  I still
have not gotten my system together because of extenuating circumstances,
so I am still of the old school (namely, tape).  When last I tried
(about 10 years ago) there was no good (and affordable) way to go
direct.  Has that problem been solved in the modern Linux recording world?

My friend recently purchased an "all-in-one" unit from Roland, a 24
track 24 bit digital recorder, that cost him about $2,500 I think
(excluding cabling, mics etc).  He says he goes direct -- and not only
direct but totally clean.  All effects, including distortion are added
after the fact. He goes from his guitar into his recorder!  This sure
seems strange to me, although I can understand the logic there.  Is this
what you guys do?

I would love to hear how you all handle this.  :0)

Thanks!

Chris