[linux-audio-user] Direct In

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Jul 25 11:34:01 EDT 2003

> On Friday 25 July 2003 16:31, John Bleichert wrote:
> > Direct does have it's uses, but for a metalhead or hard rock
> > fan I can't see the use in playing clean into a PC and then
> adding effects.
> > If it's not crunchy while I'm playing, I'm not entertained, [...]
>
> Crunchy licks don't "feel right" if they're played without
> overdrive, don't
> they?

Absolutely true. I play the guitar differently with a crunchy sound vs. a
clean sound. I pick differently. My fret board fingers move differently. If
I play the guitar 'cleanly' and then add crunchy effects, I don't get the
same product.

I do, however, record direct using a Pod Pro with a crunchy sound, and by
the time things are mixed down it seems quite acceptable to me. There's
nothing magic about the Pod Pro. All the same programs could, presumably, be
run with host-based processing as a LADSPA plugin, presuming that CPU cycles
and latency don't cause you problems. I haven't had much need (nor
opportunity) to experiment with such things under Linux.

Cheers,
Mark