[linux-audio-user] MIDI and Linux

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Jul 25 13:34:01 EDT 2003

Daniel,
   A quick response:

1) Check out Rosegarden. It's a very nice MIDI environment. Or go with
Jazzware, although I think development on that has ceased.

2) Upgrade to a newer version of Alsa if you're going to do this at all.

3) If you're new to Linux, consider one of the prepackaged environments that
supports a specific distribution. If you're interested in Redhat, then go
the PlanetCCRMA site for most everything you need. For other distributions
others here will give you guidance.
http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

4) Don't be totally sure you can't use your existing samples. If they are
Sound Font based, there are Sound Font tools under Linux. Two favs are Swami
and Fluid Synth.

5) Lots of good soft synths coming along here, and the price is right, at
least monetarily. Try our amSynth and ZynAddSubFx as your more standard user
interface models, and then things like Spiral Synth Modular and many others
for you're more daring endeavors. ;-)

6) If you like MIDI, stick with MIDI. Trackers are fun. Some of the Windows
ones will run under Wine, should you want to mess with a mixed environment a
bit, but that's quite challenging.

Good luck,
Mark