[linux-audio-user] gentoo mm-sources

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Jul 25 13:39:05 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 04:50:41PM +0200, Burkhard Woelfel wrote:

> On Friday 25 July 2003 11:37, Chris wrote:
> > Finally, another gentoo user!
>
> Not the only one here... :-)

Indeed. I'm running gentoo on my main box for a few months now.

Regarding kernel patches, with just a little grepping in the portage
tree I was able to glean the following info...

source			latency-related info
------- 		---------------------
ck-sources		"in general his kernels are known to be VERY
			 low latency."
			 doesn't say what patches are contained, but
			 based on notes in other sources, I guess
			 LL, PE, and O(1)

gaming-sources		ebuild contains a URL of a page that tells all:
			http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/
			... at which you can see it contains LL, PE,
			and O(1) among other things.
			Also read the FAQ, it mentions some notable bugs
			e.g. hdparm is broken at least with gaming-sources
			for 2.4.21:
			http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/#faq

gentoo-sources		"Based heavily on ck-sources-2.4.20-r2..."
			contains LL,PE,O(1)

gs-sources  		contains LL, PE

gentoo-hardened		- ck7-base (O(1), preempt, low latency)

mm-sources		This is for 2.5/2.6 kernels, which I have not
			really paid attention to. Contains some patches
			from Andrew Morton.

wolf-sources		"replaced:LowLatency in favor of lowlatency
			 fixes from latest -AA"

Note that you still have to pay attention to configuration options:
e.g. if you don't enable lowlatency and preemptible during kernel
config, the patches might as well not be there :-)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com