[linux-audio-user] how much ram?

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Fri Jul 25 15:18:00 EDT 2003

Paul Winkler wrote on Fri, 25-Jul-2003:

 > On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:01:50AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
 > > 256MB will be pleanty for audio recording, but if you're going to do any
 > > soft synth work with things like sound fonts, you'll want and probably use
 > > the 512MB.
 >
 > true, but they'll probably overcharge for preinstalled RAM.
 > I just ordered another 256 MB of PC133 ECC sdram for about $40...

Definitely, go with less preinstalled and buy the additional RAM module
separately at a good price.  Just make sure to get the correct variety.

 > as for disks - if you do much recording you should seriously
 > consider a second audio-only disk.

Yes, some laptops can take a second harddrive in one of their
expandable bays.  The other alternative is to get an external
firewire HD, (and a Cardbus firewire interface, if the laptop
does not include it on-board).  I have had good success using
ardour with large track counts from a firewire HD.

jlc