[linux-audio-user] aplay, plughw, alsamixer question

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sat Jul 26 01:34:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 20:28, fpirrone wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I don't have any experiences with your hardware and didn't think my
> reply would be of much use to you, but running the exact command you
> post on my cs4236 system produces sound that is under control of
> alsamixer, as does -Dhw:0, so that suggests to me that aplay is directly
> affected by the settings in the mixer.

Frank,
   Actually, your results are extremely helpful. Now I know this is a
bug which is a step forward. Thanks.

   My hardware (HDSP 9652) is currently unsupported, but we are trying
to get it to work. I just needed verification that the command worked
the way you say. I suspected it did.

> Now, some cards do not have a mixer so they should not behave this way,
> as I assume would be the case if there were something wrong with the
> driver for a card that does have a mixer.  In either event I would not
> expect to see controls in amixer or the gamix graphical interface.  If
> you see them and they have no effect that sounds like a malfunction.
>
> Couldn't find any answer to your channel question.  My system does not
> seem to provide a relevant option to explore this further.  I fooled
> around with -c and -I options but could draw no useful conclusions.

  May I ask what hardware you are using, and if you attempted to use (or
could you try out?) both mono and stereo wave files? I am curious
whether for you a mono wave file would be played on all channels, as my
driver is currently doing, or just channel 1, and whether a stereo file
is played as mono or in stereo.

   Anyway, your response was exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks much
for verifying this.

Cheers,
Mark