[linux-audio-user] Whoo-hoo, it (sort-of) works (sorry, it's long)

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Mon Jul 28 12:11:01 EDT 2003

Greg Reddin wrote on Mon, 28-Jul-2003:

 > I downloaded the tarball from the Ardour site.  It configured and
 > compiled without problems.  The interesting thing is that the first
 > time I started Ardour, my computer completely locked up.  The mouse
 > wouldn't move, I couldn't switch apps using the keyboard.  I figure
 > that if I had it connected to a network I could've SSH'd in and
 > killed some processes, but it wasn't connected, so I shut it down.
 > Upon rebooting I had to run fsck to recover my filesystem.  Not an
 > extremely painful experience.  After I got everything booted back up,
 > I said "what the heck, I'll try it again", and this time it did not
 > crash.  I was able to import some wave files and play around with it.
 >  I was not able to record using my laptop's mic, but I haven't really
 > tried to debug that yet, and it's not terribly important at this
 > point.

Be sure you are not using ext3 with certain versions of the 2.4.20
kernel.  Jan's page should have covered this I think, so this
might not have been the issue.

 > I wanted to do some more experimenting, so I downloaded and installed
 > wxWindows-GTK and Freqtweak, compiled, and installed them.  For some
 > reason Freqtweak gives me an error when I try to run it.  Something
 > about cannot load wxGTK-2.4.1.so, no such file or directory.  I
 > suppose I need to learn something about installing shared libraries
 > and making them available to other applications.  Any tips would be
 > appreciated.

Hmm.  When you installed wxGTK from source, it probably went into
/usr/local/lib (unless you specified --prefix=/usr on the configure
line).  You need to make sure that this is in your library path.
The easiest way is to edit your /etc/ld.so.conf file and add a
line with '/usr/local/lib'.  Then run 'ldconfig'.

Hope this helps....

jlc