[linux-audio-user] esd alsa ens1372 input monitor problem

WR gen2 at planetofidiots.com
Mon Jul 28 12:45:01 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm having a problem trying to use esd with alsa and an ens1371 card.

setup on boxes A and B:
alsa-driver-0.9.5_r2
alsa-lib-0.9.4
esound-0.2.29
linux-2.4.21-rc4-aa1

On box A, I'm using a cmipci driver, box B, an ens1371.
modules.conf has identical (except for driver id) content on both boxen.
Everything alsa works on both boxen, playback and capture.
Esound playback works on both boxen.

The Problem:

Esound esdrec works on box A, but not box B.

On box B, esdrec times out and exits (yes, esd is running). It appears as
though it looks to a port for capture data, sees none, then bails. Esound
documentation is famously anemic, googling got me this far...

Weird bit to me is that non-esound alsa capture is working fine on box B,
it's just that esdrec doesn't seem to be addressing the right port.

Anyone have any ideas?

Like how does esdrec know which port to see, or how do I tell it to look
in the "right place" for a capture stream...or how to set the "default
port" so esdrec "just finds it" like on box A...

Many thanks!!