[linux-audio-user] Clipping from USB audio device [WAS: command-line recording software?]

Tim helycos at lycos.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 14:21:01 EDT 2003

Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> ecasignalview -f:16,2,48000 /dev/dsp1 null

Works, I've attached the output of 30 seconds analysis from my amp as
source, as well as the portable CD player which doesn't have the
clipping problem.

I've also attached kern.log messages, which will explain why alteration
of my mixer controls makes no difference to the clipping.  This USB
audio device is very simple, all it does is convert analogue to digital
signal.  Its worth noting that the clipping also occurs within windows
and on another PC.

aumix -d /dev/mixer -I
aumix -d /dev/mixer1 -I

are accessible, however make no difference to the clipping from the amp
source, including IGain.  Muting all parameters within aumix makes no
difference to the signal.

Would it be possible I've bought a dud analogue-digital converter, which
suffers clipping at normal line volume?

Thanks again for your help.

Tim