[linux-audio-user] mapping alsa devices to oss devices

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Mon Jun 9 06:38:01 EDT 2003

In my quest to record from the different channels of the Delta 1010LT
have come so far that I can address the different hardware inputs using
ALSA device names, while using an appropriate /etc/asound.conf file.
e.g. I can

arecord -f cd -d 5 -D channel2 test.wav

and this would record from hardware input channel #2. I have four stereo
input channels, e.g channel1 ... channel4, plus the spdif channel. So
far, so good.

Now I would need a way to map these channels to OSS /dev/dsp interfaces.
something like:

/dev/dsp1 -> channel1
/dev/dsp2 -> channel2
/dev/dsp3 -> channel3
/dev/dsp4 -> channel4

I understand that I would need to use the kernel module snd-pcm-oss to
achieve this. how can I tell this module to map to the appropriate ALSA
devices?

BTW, the contents of this asound.conf file is:

pcm.ice1712 {
         type hw
         card 0
         device 0