[linux-audio-user] Can't get rosegarden4 to record from ALSA virmidi

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Tue Jun 10 23:29:00 EDT 2003

Has anyone got rosegarden to record from an ALSA virmidi port?

I can't get it to work, and apparently nobody on the rosegarden list has tried
it, so that so far, I have not got any answers there, probably because the
developers are very busy with other things.. But I thought I'd ask here as
well, because there may be some rosegarden users that aren't on their list,
and I'm getting hungry to get this solved. I'm hesitant to submit a formal
Rosegarden bug report just yet, because I could be misunderstanding something
about the way virmidi works.

In case anyone's interested, Rosegarden is a sequencer app that uses the ALSA
MIDI sequencer API.  What I'm trying to do is load a the virmidi device, and
then aconnect 72:0 73:0 for example. Then I set up the record device in
Rosegarden to record from 73:0, and set up a play track that plays on 72:0.
Thus when I record, I would expect that events get recorded onto the record
track, but it doesn't happen. I also can't record events to that track if I
play them from PD, using the OSS compatilibilty interface, through a device
that is symlinked to 72:0.

However, PD itself has no problems linking the two devices together - Through
PD I can play through 72:0 and have PD receive the message back through 73:0.

It is entirely possible that I'm making some silly mistake, so that's why I
ask here.  Can anyone suggest some other test to try? Is it possible that
there is a bug in ALSA where using the sequencer API doesn't work when
getting events from a virmidi device? Or is it more likely a bug in
Rosegarden? I already tried making sure that Rosegarden seem to be opening
the correct record device, by hardwiring this in the source code. What's left
next for me to try, is opening the 73:0 device in record direction only
(Rosegarden I beleive is opening it in duplex mode).

So, any thoughts? Is there some simpler application I could try as a sanity
check, to see if my ALSA and virmidi are working?

Larry Troxler