[linux-audio-user] ALSA -> OSS mapping question for Delta 1010LT card

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Jun 11 03:24:00 EDT 2003

Akos Maroy wrote:
> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > It should work if you use the aoss script from the alsa-oss package
> > which maps /dev/dspX to an ALSA PCM device named dspX, and define
> > these devices as capture devices for the desired channels with the
> > dsnoop plugin.
>
> this would all be fine it someone would point me to some documentation
> about aoss. the man page doesn't say much, except:
>
> SYNOPSYS
>         aoss osscommand [arguments]
>
>     Arguments
>         osscommand
>                A command that uses the OSS API
>
>         arguments
>                The appropriate arguments and options for the OSS command.
>
> well, what should I tell it?

"osscommand" is your program that wants to record from the OSS ports.
The aoss scripts detects all accesses to /dev/dsp0,1,2... and
redirects them to ALSA PCM devices named dsp0,1,2... which must be
defined in your .asoundrc. See
<http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg07207.html>
for an example of the dsnoop plugin, this would be something like the
following:

	# makes channels 4,5 of the Delta available as /dev/dsp0
	pcm.dsp0 {
		type dsnoop
		ipc_key 123456
		ipc_key_add_uid yes
		slave.pcm "hw:0,0"  # or whatever your Delta is
		bindings {
			0 4
			1 5
		}