[linux-audio-user] how to build a studio?

Joshua N Pritikin vishnu at pobox.com
Wed Jun 11 05:18:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:57:59AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 01:30:45PM +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > i think i need speakers too.
> >
> > Is there anything like digital speakers or digital amps which
> > can accept ADAT directly from my linux box and turn it into
> > sound?  Or do i need to convert ADAT to analogue and plug
> > that into a conventional amp/speaker system?
>
> You can get monitors that accept SPDIF, but your choice will be limited.
> If you get decent active monitors that take balanced analogue you wont
> have any noise problems.

Sorry for being a complete newbie, but "active" monitors?  What
does "active" mean in this context?

You mean a balanced analogue connection to the amplifier?  Or the
amp uses balanced cables to the speaker also?

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org