[linux-audio-user] how to build a studio?

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed Jun 11 16:45:01 EDT 2003

Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:30:45 +0530
> Joshua N Pritikin <vishnu at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>i think i need speakers too.
>>
>>Is there anything like digital speakers or digital amps which
>>can accept ADAT directly from my linux box and turn it into
>>sound?
>

> There are now powered studio monitors that will take digital out and
> need no external amplification; I think that'll be my next studio
> purchase when there's the cash!
>
> I have not yet gone into the local Guitar Center to listen to them
> yet as that would just make me frustrated at this time!  Check out
> websites like musiciansfriend.com to see what's out there - try a
> search on "digital monitor speaker".

it does not really make a difference where you have your d/a converters.
monitors with spdif in don't make your studio more high-end or more
professional. the conversion has to take place somewhere.

if you're thinking of those "digital speakers" which feed some special
digital signal directly to the speaker cones and let the membrane do the
low-pass filtering, i think they didn't catch on, and i'm sure they have
as many (if different) problems as any other concept.

--
All Members shall refrain in their international relations from
the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/ (Linux Audio Developers)