[linux-audio-user] alsa dmix question(s)

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jun 13 12:31:00 EDT 2003

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>   I'd like to employ dmix on my laptop but I need to know a few things
> before doing so. The first thing concerns my assumptions: Am I correct
> in understanding that dmix will perform as a "virtual hardware mixer" a
> la the SBLive on my desktop machine ? My laptop is an HP Omnibook 4150,
> it's very nice but its sound chip is a CS4232 and is not capable of
> hardware mixing like the SBLive. It would be nice if dmix would let me
> play with more than one audio app at a time.
>
>   If my first assumption is correct, how do I invoke and use dmix ?

There are various ways but the easiest is to use the command line:

aplay -Dplug:dmix <filename>

also try these params:

plug:dmix
"plug:'dmix:RATE=44100'"
"plug:'dmix:SLAVE=\'hw:0,0,2\',RATE=44100'"

> Should it be in a startup file somewhere or should it be launched from
> the command-line ?

can be either

 > Given that my laptop's CPU is only a PII 366 what
> kind of performance can I expect ?

Should work ok.

> Finally, how do I control the volume
> for each app playing, i.e., is there a mixer that recognizes dmix ?

Use the inbuilt volume control on the app eg alsaplayer or xmms.

>   I'm curious as to how people are using dmix and what are their
> opinions about it, so fire away...

It works for me but I never use it because of jackd.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman