[linux-audio-user] speech to text software?

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Sun Jun 15 11:24:00 EDT 2003

söndagen den 15 juni 2003 13.59 skrev iriXx:
> Samuel S Chessman wroted:
> > Actually festival is text to speech.
> >
> > Opensource sphinx from CMU is in debian, use perlbox
> > http://www.perlbox.org/ for desktop integration.
>
> thank you, this is brilliant. i'd noticed Sphinx but couldnt work out how i
> was supposed to use it for desktop apps!
>
> i'm glad to see perlbox. there seems to be a plethora of text to speech
> apps for the visually impaired - but a dearth of speech to text. perhaps
> its more difficult to build?

Yes, it is magnitudes harder to do. I used to be involved in that industry,
and the applications that do it are very few, the ones that do it well can
easily be counted on one hand. The big apps are Windows only, IBM has an
application called viaVoice that is a speech recognition package that
actually is available on Linux though.
Or should I say, WAS available, I've heard they have discontinued it.

As for open implementations I can't give any direct pointers, there may be
some info at any of the universities that do speech research, though I'm
sorry to say, I haven't found much.

e.g.
http://www.speech.kth.se/
http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/