[linux-audio-user] Rosegarden vs. Note Edit

Joerg Anders j.anders at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Jun 16 08:41:00 EDT 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Chris Cannam wrote:

> Meanwhile, the implementation of some notation features in
> Rosegarden-4 has been slowed by the problem of having to make them
> editable and playable in formats other than notation and the fact
> that the developers have to work on all sorts of stuff besides score.
> (I say that with some bitterness, having wasted quite a bit of good
> notation-coding time on tedious MIDI-device stuff recently.)  For

A short remark from a NoteEdit developer about this, because it is
the most basic statement in this mail. Many times I was prompted
to join other open musical score editor projects. And the
question arises: "Why so many different projects?". And this sentence
gives me the opportunity to declare why I didn't:

In other projects the MIDI related way of thinking dominates.
The score editor is regarded as an appendix.

In my opinion, this is a basic error. The internal
data structures must represent the score and the midi data
must be derived from these data. Why: The mapping from
score to midi is unique mapping. But the reverse mapping isn't unique.

And another aspect: From the very beginning it was quite
clear to me: The main problem is grouping: The are
vertical groups (chords) and horizontal groups
(beams, slurs, ties, tuplets). Every note can be a member of
any of these groups, even simultaniously.

The grouping phenomenon is completely unknown
to the MIDI world. Thus, I think: Any MIDI based
data design won't succeed and leads to the effects described
above.

> notes) has been fixed in the 2.1.x/2.2.x releases, but I can still
> never work out how to do simple stuff like play from the somewhere in
> the middle of the piece, while Rosegarden has a nice transport window
> with all that kind of stuff in it, and can do things like playing a
> selected region in a loop while you edit it.

Please read:
 http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/doc/playing.html

BTW: You have forgotten:
  - Multiple voices per staff!