[linux-audio-user] Rosegarden vs. Note Edit

Joerg Anders j.anders at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Jun 16 10:39:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Torsten Anders wrote:

> > The internal data structures must represent the score and the midi data
> > must be derived from these data.
>
> I generate scores in an algorithmic way. I wonder whether I could import
> generated scores to NoteEdit for editing. Therefore my questions:

Sometimes I plan to write a paper about this, to enable more people
to contribute the program. But - as many programmers - I'm very bad in such
things. To tell the truth sometimes I've forgotten some details and
so this paper were also helpful to me. And especially the multiple
voices per staff makes all very difficult.

Some users also asked for a ABC importer. And indeed, if I knew about
ABC music at the very beginning I'd use ABC music as the storage format.
And I think generation of ABC music format is relatively simple.
But currently I have not time for such an importer.

So, the only way so far is to try to create MUP. This is sometimes
complicated because it shows some ornaments and decorations in
extra lines.

> How does your internal data structure look like?

I think the ABC music is very close. Of course, you cannot describe
pointers directly in textual format. But the principle: All information
needed for drawing a note should be next to the note is the same as in
NoteEdit.

In any case NoteEdit itself has no MIDI like representation
and also the replay works by examining the score directly.

Only during MIDI import there is a TSE3 structure with MIDI like
representation. The TSE3 library by Pete Goodliffe <pete at cthree.org>
and expecially the TSE3 filters are very helpful for MIDI --> score
reconstruction.

BTW: This is the reason for ...

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Chris Cannam wrote:

> the first time I looked at it I never got as far as discovering that
> it could import MIDI files, as that feature was not on the File menu
> but instead on a menu obscurely labelled "TSE3" (the name of the MIDI
> engine it uses).

... I wanted to make clear the benefit of Pete's library.

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (ja at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)