[linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 13:21:00 EDT 2003

--- Daniel James <daniel at mondodesigno.com> wrote:
> > JAMin
> > creates a greater distinction between the
> > responsibilities of mixing and mastering engineers
> > when using the multitrack as the source to the
> > mastering application.
>
> I guess this could work as long as all parties
> understand the
> demarcation. I can imagine resistance from mastering
> engineers who
> might regard a multitrack project as 'unfinished',
> or not want to
> take responsibility for the mix.

I believe that what you imagine is absolutely real.
But my attitude is, fine and dandy let "resistant"
mastering engineers tell an artist who just maxed out
their credit card for a $3,000.00 album production
budget that they need to return to the mixing studio
to cut the kick drum by 5db when the mixing studio
costs $50.00 an hour and the mastering studio costs
$100.00 an hour.

Mastering has been shrouded in a mystique that's born
from ignorance. I can make that claim because
ignorance is my personal experience. :) But the days
of using attitudes like the one you're refering to are
numbered because every kid in the world has recording
and mastering studios in their bedrooms.

Mastering is about achieving sonic potential. Ardour
is a mixing tool. When you finish mixing with Ardour
and every other DAW about %50 or %60 of the sonic
potential of a rock/pop song is realized. A "good"
song production in the low budget world, almost
everyone you and I know, can take 12 hours to print
and mix. It'll take an hour to produce the remaining
sonic potential for that song. Mastering is big juju!

I probably shouldn't argue about how easy mastering is
because 20 feet from me is an accoustically designed
mastering studio that I designed, built, paid for and
own. But I love music and working with artists and the
more the artist and I accomplish, the happier I am.
When I encounter "resistance" I bristle with
intolerance and I think everyone of us should reject
that shit like it were the black microsoft plague. :)

ron