[linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user digest, Vol 1 #516 - 14 msgs

Bearcat M. Sandor HomeTheater at TheDragonsEdge.com
Mon Jun 16 17:33:00 EDT 2003

Thank folks, for all the comments on this. I'll be turning off my amp from
know on (aside from unforseen reboots).  As vara s th audiophile vs. music
lover debate, i agree whole heartly. I'm both. I'm a music lover 'cause i
love the music first and foremost. I enjoy having rather esoteric taste from
metal to folk, to classical, to blues.   I love music and have been a singer
many times in this life. oh, yeah, choral music, can;t forget Trinity College
Caimbridge.  :)

The audiophile side of me lives side by side with music lover. I could care
les about the branding, the fancy heavy feel knobs (a la Mark Levinson), the
fancy looks.  What i want is to hear every last bit (literally) of the music
that i love. I enjoy the differences in the way it is produces through
different systems. I'm not oafter th holy grail of "close as possible to live
production", after all, most live production I heard was aweful.  I enjoy the
art of it.

Both the music lover and audiophile in my HATE the compression that is done on
cds.  It kills me to think of the music i am not hearing just to make the
whole thing sound louder and more exciting to your average listener. You
know, the kind of person who uses music a  background and thinks that mp3 are
ok. No offence menat, but i'm just not that kind of person.  I love DVD-Audio
and SACD and hope that one of 'em becomes the standard. As a computer user, I
prefer DVD-Audio, as it's easier to deal with.

My dream system is a good sound card directly into a good class D amp (i just
lost my audiophile status right there !), with Sound Lab MB-1 speakers. These
are monsterous electrostats that actually reproduce the entire fequency range
including below 20hz.   You won;t find them on teh soundlab web page, but i
got to hear them.  It kept me high for days. I want some. After all thier
only about $17k  a pair.  Well, i can dream can't i?

Happy listening,

Bearcat M. Sandor

> I'm an audiophile (how many of you are?)

It occurs to me that most musicians are interested in sound quality.
However, some audiophiles are more interested in the science of sound
rather than actually listening to music, and I find this very dull.
You can tell people like that if they spent a lot on hi-fi but don't
have any good records, or choose records because they show off the
equipment rather than because they like the music...

> I have hooked my sound card
> directly to my amp (a Carver TFM-75x) which puts out about 380
> watts per channel into 8 ohms.

As I understand it, cheaper amps have a built-in anti-thump circuit,
but audiophile amps don't because it would interfere with the signal
path. So I'd recommend always dropping the power amp level to zero
before rebooting your box.

Cheers

Daniel