[linux-audio-user] Re: you might already have a hardware synth in your office

iriXx m at iriXx.org
Mon Jun 16 19:35:01 EDT 2003

Steve Harris wrote:

> I was when I was there 3 years ago. I was talking to one of the guys
> about early computer music and he run the s/w he'd hacked up on it when
> he was working with them. Amazing machine. The powersupply can melt
> spanners :)

wow....!!!
i'll have to ask then, when i next visit.... i think i was more
fascinated with the nostalgia of playing with a commodore 64 and writing
looped obscenities in BASIC on a ZX Spectrum.... ;)

>>i wanna do one of those things - line printer or dotmatrix - and then
>>control it via xtend or something on my linux box.... any ideas?
>

> Done use lineprinters unless you have lots of houseroom and understanding
> neighbours :)

i have an uneasy, unspoken truce with my neighbours who have a
predilection for playing their turkish folk music very loud. they are
now accustomed to my blaring electroacoustic and industrial music in
defence.... ;-)

and i got plenty of house room.... got the top floor of the place to
myself. what im thinking of is to get hold of old Apple Mac printers...
i'm collecting 68k macs and will hopefully get Debian to run on at least
one of them....

how does one go about programming something like this? does it involve,
as mentioned, addressing the serial port, or is it just a case of
sending different patterns of text to the printer?...

this is material for installations methinks.... :)

m~

--
  ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_     HTTP 503: Too Busy

  .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.

             gnupg key ID: AEB7A31E