[linux-audio-user] Re: Syncing muse with ardour

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Wed Jun 18 13:05:00 EDT 2003

Son of Zev wrote:

> (firstly like to apologise to all on multi lists for cross posting but I
> don't think this is necessarily just a MusE problem, it could be either
> MusE, ardour or alsa and needs to be investigated further from all angles)

(I've taken the liberty of transferring the topic to the Linux Audio
Users list.)

I have also been testing sync scenarios with Ardour (CVS 14 June) +
various apps. I've had success only with Hydrogen. I worked with MusE
(0.6.0pre5) for a while last night, nothing budged. I *thought* I had
all connections designated: Ardour was set up for Send MTC and Send MMC,
and MusE was set for external sync, recognizing MTC and MIDI clock. The
Ardour sync output is the first virmidi port, so I used kaconnect to
route virmidi 0 to MusE. The MusE console reports MMC stop and seek
position signals for the Ardour playhead, but no start signal (should
it?). Like I said, I got no sync joy. Audio is off in MusE, btw. Maybe
I'm missing something obvious ??

Comix mentioned that seq24 would also sync to Ardour, but I couldn't
make that happen either.

I'm interested in learning about any successful sync arrangements, with
or without external gear. What apps work well (or even sort of well)
together via MMC, MTC, SMPTE, MIDI clock, or... ??

> I've just done some testing of various scenarios regarding syncing MusE
> and Ardour and external devices.. via a MOTU Midi Timepiece AV (as the
> code for this is not 100% solid I will redo this test with the intel8x0
> MIDI driver tomorrow at around this time.. it's too late now and I'm
> back at work, I can't have the late nights I've been having lately)

I have an old MQX32M stuck in a machine running MS-DOS and Sequencer
Plus. That board + software generates and reads SMPTE and MTC (I think),
I'll try testing it just for fun...

Best regards,

== dp