[linux-audio-user] silly midi volume stuff :)

cliffw at easystreet.com cliffw at easystreet.com
Thu Jun 19 21:50:00 EDT 2003

> Hi,
>
> I have a MIDI card (Yamaha DB50XG) that I use as a performer for my old
> Ensoniq controller.  It works fine.  However, it seems that the Ensoniq
> keyboard sends the velocity information at only half what it should be
> -- if I pound on the keyboard, the volume is increased from normal
> playing, but still rather quiet.  If I play a midi file through tse3play
> or something similar, the volume is full.

Non-linux solution here, oh well...
Funny  velocity send information was a 'feature' of some early MIDI kbds,
the early DX7 for example was known for sending less that full velocity range,
due to some brainstorm on the part of it's designers...
 There exist several tiny hardware boxes that give you a proper velocity curve
out.
If your keyboard is not malfunctioning, you might look for a Midi Solutions
Velocity Converter, (http://www.midisolutions.com)
the Anatek people made a box also, but the company has gone the Way Of the
Buffalo,
you might find one used.
cliffw