[linux-audio-user] Device for simple stereo dubbing?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Fri Jun 20 05:16:01 EDT 2003

Joseph Zitt wrote:
> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Joseph Zitt wrote:
> >
> >>[...] I have a Roland UA-30 USB Audio device, but so far I've
> >>found that plugging it in when the system is running crashes the
> >>machine completely, and that the machine fails to finish booting
> >>when I boot it up with the device already hooked in.
> >

> > Add the lines
> >
> >   audio
> >   snd-usb-audio
> >
> > to your /etc/hotplug/blacklist file (or create it if it doesn't
> > exist). This should prevent the crashing driver from being loaded
> > automatically.
>
> OK, I did that, and the system didn't crash when I hooked up the UA-30.

You previously used the OSS drivers (including "audio"). Does your
computer still crash if you run "modprobe snd-usb-audio"?

> > And please post the output of "lsusb -v" (when the UA-30 is
> > connected)
>
> Here's the output. That "Invalid product/subclass spec at line 2650" is
> interesting,
>
> What file would the errant line 2650 be in?

One of lsusb's source files, I guess.

> ... as is the "cannot get config descriptor 0, Connection timed
> out (110)" for the UA-30.

This would have been the interesting part.

There are two drivers for UHCI controllers, uhci and usb-uhci.
Sometimes, one of them works and the other one doesn't. Pleasy do
"rmmod usb-uhci" and "modprobe uhci", then try to run lsusb again.

If this doesn't help, you can try out a newer version of the usbutils
package.

>    iManufacturer           1 Roland
>    iProduct                2 UA-30 (44100Hz, Analog REC)

It seems the UA-30 has switches to select the recording format. Maybe
another combination might work.

> [root at localhost mp3]# cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.0rc8.
> Compiled on Mar 14 2003 for kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk with versioned symbols.

This is a shiny new kernel with a rather old ALSA version. Please try
a more recent ALSA version, there have been some changes to the
snd-usb-audio driver since then.

HTH
Clemens