[linux-audio-user] mplayer and alsa plugins

Anthony avan at uwm.edu
Fri Jun 20 17:57:01 EDT 2003

I've been trying to get mplayer to work with my delta44. I have
a working plug pcm type:

pcm.dplug {
   type plug
   slave.pcm ice1712
}

and

$ mplayer -ao alsa9:dplug foo.avi

will play audio, but no more than a few frames of video. If I look
at the verbose output I see;

alsa-init: requested format: 48000 Hz, 2 channels, Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
alsa-init: compiled for ALSA-0.9.4
alsa-init: soundcard set to dplug
alsa-init: pcm opend in block-mode
alsa-init: chunksize set to 1024
alsa-init: current val=7, fragcount=7
alsa-init: unable to set periods: Invalid argument
alsa-init: got buffersize=26212

The number of periods the driver requests is 7 which the code
obtains by calling snd_pcm_hw_params_get_periods_max(). So
my question is, what should this value be for a plug, should it
be the same as the underlying slave. Is the ice1712 not reporting
the correct maximum? The maximum jackd will start with is 5
periods so there seems to be something wrong here.

--ant