[linux-audio-user] Re: [MusE] Re: Syncing muse with ardour

Martin Büchler martin.buechler at vrweb.de
Sun Jun 22 08:10:01 EDT 2003

Hi,

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Martin Buechler wrote:
>

>>hydrogen seems to understand only noteon/off, aka works as soft synth.
>>That is what I could achieve so far in combination with muse. I never
>>got control over hydrogen's transport :(
>

> How did you get MusE to control Hydrogen at all ? I've tried a variety
> of connections, I get no results.

Basically: Let a drum or midi track of muse use Hydrogen's Midi-In as
O-Port. The MIDI connections are established with muse's MIDI port
configuration and best viewed with kaconnect. Both apps use jack as
audio driver. The audio connections of muse and hydrogen to alsa_pcm
playback channel(s) are automagically established via jack; but you may
check them with qjackconnect anyway.
Actually, sometimes hydrogen cannot connect to jack. It seems like I
have to shutdown qjackconnect before....
I'm afraid that is nothing new to you. But if you use ardour, all other
requirements like ALSA or jack are supposed to work.

>>Ok, the other way around works 'sort of well'... Muse is able to mmc ardour!
>>Here some pre-requisites, that I just found out:
>>1. Works only with newly created ardour sessions(1.0beta1-c), otherwise
>>clicking 'MMC Control'  in ardour's options checkbox crashes ardour
>

> I'm testing beta-e.

I'm using beta-c right now, and I got some sessions, that deserve to get
migrated through ardour's still evolving persistence concepts.

>>3. the *same* virtual midi interface is configured as MIDI port in muse,
>>and is configured under MIDI Sync as Master-MMC O-Port.
>>
>>Though, transport is not reliably connected. Sometimes ardour seems to
>>ignore the MMC sent by muse.

I reported the behaviour to ardour-dev list.

> I was unable to make this setup work for me. :(

I'd suggest to eliminate, shutdown or un-load drivers, midi interfaces,
OSS emulation or even hardware, that are not necessarily need for
testing a specific MIDI setup.
And: Sound seems to require lots of restarting/rebooting apps, OSs,
muses, ardours etc.pp.

> I have high hopes for the JACK transport control...

Agreed, but I want it now :)

Martin

P.S.: I temporarily added MMC DEFERRED PLAY to ardours MMC cmds, muse
even rolls now with ardour, but still refuses to sync to ardours MTC :(