[linux-audio-user] Re: [Ardour-users] Re: [ardour-dev] Re: [MusE] Re: Syncing muse with ardour

Allan Klinbail allank at labyrinth.net.au
Sun Jun 22 11:45:01 EDT 2003

Hi I was going to do more testing of this earlier with a more reliable
device than the MTPAV (the device is reliable, Id on't think the driver
is just yet)  but more stuff popped up

I should get time this week..

although one question is the intel8x0 driver reliable for MIDI or should
I install an old SB PCI128 (ens1371)?

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 11:22, Paul Davis wrote:

</snip>

> >3. the *same* virtual midi interface is configured as MIDI port in muse,
> >and is configured under MIDI Sync as Master-MMC O-Port.
> >
> >Though, transport is not reliably connected. Sometimes ardour seems to
> >ignore the MMC sent by muse.
>
> any particular patterns associated with this behaviour?

I found this true with external devices... I can't give a specific
pattern b/c I was repeating the same action..

Play Start on MPC2000xl (start from beginning or start)
Start on MPC2000xl (restart from wherever it is meant to be)
Stop.

It was the stop message that was missed most often..

> did you try the other way around? i can't recall how much MMC ardour
> generates. i know it will do some (if "Send MMC" is enabled).

I did with beta1 and was not successful

> i'd like to track this one in more detail. i use this a lot and its
> never caused a crash.

I experienced this as well, but only until I hooked up an external
device with MMC, it appeared as if once an MMC enabled device was
hooked up I didn't have a problem. ... it doesn't seem logical though

</snip>

> MMC is not the correct method of syncing these two apps. JACK is. We
> are still working on finishing the JACK transport API. Just FYI :)
>
> --p

Yes this makes perfect sense when audio is involved in MusE. However for
those of us using MusE (or any other sequencer) to sequence outboard
gear that is to be recorded as audio in ardour MMC makes sense and would
be nice to use in the interim.

Has the design of JACK transport taken into consideration MMC messages
from outboard gear?

cheers

Allan Klinbail <allank at labyrinth.net.au>