[linux-audio-user] Building a DAW - couple of questions

Luke Yelavich luke at audioslack.com
Mon Jun 30 20:18:01 EDT 2003

At 06:49 AM 7/1/2003, you wrote:
>I'm in the process of building a Linux-based DAW as well. My question is
>what distribution should I go with? I'm leaning towards Mandrake 9.1 or Red
>Hat 9.. but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

If you are an experienced Linux user, I would personally suggest Slackware
9. You have to configure most things by hand, but the distro itself is very
lean and tweakable, and gives very good performance for audio. Another nice
thing is that the kernel is the vanilla source from kernel.org so patching
it for low latency and preempt is no problem at all.

You would also be able to grab prepared packages from my site at
http://www.audioslack.com should you take this path.

Regards
Luke

Luke Yelavich
AudioSlack Founder and main package maintainer
Audio software packaged for the Slackware Linux Distribution
http://www.audioslack.com
luke at audioslack.com