[linux-audio-user] building new machine, couple simple questions

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 14:08:01 EST 2003

Hi,
--- Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 06:35:02 -0800, R Parker
> wrote:
> > Also, can someone point me to docs for
> enabling/using
> > a capabilities enabled kernel? Enabling normal
> user
> > capabilities for jackd is my objective. I believe
> > Fernando has this included in the CCRMA stuff but
> > quick google didn't find any docs. They're
> probably
> > there. Hints appreciated. I'll search LAD
> > archives...it's probably all there.
>
> I do wonder why youre not using Planet? It makes
> things gloriously easy.
> I not have planet+rh8 on both my music PCs and I
> recon it saves me hours a
> week.

I'm a masochist. :) Actually, I thought it'd be
interesting to give gentoo a run. The hype for gentoo
is the granularity for building to the hardware.
Perhaps that's a bit over cooked but everything is
compiled from source. Gentoo's package system,
portage,  is configurable (CFLAGS, Keywords for
library environments, etc) and my sense is that it can
ease managing a system that's freguently updated.
Well, for me there's alot of learning to be done.

I definitely agree with your estimate of Planet, it's
a nice looking piece of work. During the next 30 hours
of scratching my head, I'll be to far into gentoo to
turn around and take advantage of Fernando's work.

Why did you mention Planet...I'm starting to question
my decision. We're gonna have to fight! :)

ron