[linux-audio-user] alsa software mixing

Raoul Bönisch jkl345 at gmx.net
Mon Mar 3 15:00:00 EST 2003

Hello!

* Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> [2003-03-01 18:22]:
> I have added some info to the asoundrc docs on using the new dmix plugin
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php3?company=Generic&card=Generic&chip=Generic&module=Generic#softmix
>
> It allows software mixing of multiple streams at one time in a similar
> way to ESD,ARTS,JACK.

Great! This is just what I was waiting for. I guess it is thus
possible to use several oss and alsa audio apps plus jack at the
same time.

> Currently it is only available with latest cvs so needs testing with
> various apps to make sure it works as desired.

I fetched and compiled it. The first instance of aplay works
fine. The second instance gives up with the following message:

player at adv:~$ aplay -Dplug:dmix stereo.wav
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1434:(snd_pcm_dmix_initialize_poll_fd) unable
to open timer 'hw:CLASS=3,SCLASS=0,CARD=0,DEV=0,SUBDEV=0'

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1583:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to initialize
poll_fd

aplay: main:479: audio open error: Device or resource busy

What's going wrong?

Please note that I am only subscribed to the linux-audio-user-list.

	ra