[linux-audio-user] delta44 setup review

John Bleichert syborg at stny.rr.com
Mon Mar 3 20:13:01 EST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Richard Seymour wrote:
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] delta44 and direct recording
>
> John Bleichert wrote:
>
> >Hello All
> >
> >I'm evaluating a Delta44 sound card to use with Ardour and Audacity
> >(Audacity until Ardour stabilizes, and maybe afterward). I've grabbed the
> >manual for the 44 from the M-Audio site to check it out. The 2 example
> >recording layouts they provide in the manual require an M-Audio 'Audio
> >Buddy' (or something like it) to get a proper line level.
> >

> I'm not completely sure, but I think the Behringer will do the preamping
> that you need.  I guess the audiobuddy can provide phantom power if your
> mic(s) need it.
>
> I am also very close to getting the Delta44 (or maybe the 66, but I
> already have spdif)... so I'll be interested to see how your's and
> other's set-ups work.
>
> -Rich

The Delta44 is great. Easy to work with, controllable with env24control.
Bit of a learning curve for the envy tool, but once you get the hang of it
it's fine.

Installation: I've had ALSA rc7 installed for quite q while, I was using
my sblive with it. I didn't even need to rebuild anything, just plug the
card in and 'modprobe snd-ice1712' - HAHA! Simple. I ran it for a while
with both sound cards, but once I figured out the Delta, I removed the
sblive - it was unnecessary.

Note: You will need some sort of monitoring system for the audio output.
There's no 'out' for PC speakers. A little creative routing sends game
and interface sounds to the 44's outs. I do not know how or if I'll be
able to play audio CDs. I didn't see the usual 'cd in' header on the 44,
although I may have missed it. This is really low priority for me, Ill
get to it.

Audacity 1.0 plays and records fine with it. I haven't had a chance to
beat on it, and the multi-input capabilities of that app are in
development right now. Seems fine so far.

The Delta works fine with Ardour. I'm not skilled enough yet in ardour to
really comment on it, beyond saying it's a breeze to use all the I/O ports
on the 44.

Haven't tried much else on it yet, I'm waiting for my mixer to arrive (the
first one showed up DOA...).

Comments welcome, esp. on the CD question.

I love the card, the sound is great. It is a much-needed boost for my home
studio.

JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg