[linux-audio-user] various questions (long)

Levi Burton donburton at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 4 04:12:09 EST 2003

Greetings list,

Thanks again for your responses to my questions about iiwusynth, zynaddsubfx
and jack; you were all most helpfull.  And now for something completely
different...

When creating music, there are various issues I run into.  First, the way I
would like to work is to build tracks within something such as Rosegarden.  I
use a hardware synth (alesis qs6), and other software tools.  Since I have a
relatively slow computer, I would like to build the tracks, then record each
one separately, then composite them with something like ecasound.

My first problem is the recording of the various tracks.  Right now, I use snd
because it has this record feature called "trigger".  This feature is
extremely usefull.  My question is do any other software packages support
this feature?  For those who are not familiar with it (or cannot infer its
meaning), it essentially just waits until the audio level reaches a specified
threshold, then starts recording.  I would love to know if ecasound can do
this.

My next question is one concerning synchronicity of my composited tracks, and
also of sample loops.  I am not mathematically inclined, and i do in fact
suck at math.  What I would like to know is if there is (im sure there is) a
formula for calculating audio segment lengths according to a specified BPM.
For example, say I have a loop of some recorded drums at 120 BPM.  I would
like to know exactly how long the audio sample must be to match 120BPM,
rather then trial and error.

I'm sure I had more questions but I seem to have forgotten them at the moment,
but im sure this is enough for this particular post!

Thanks!

--
Levi Burton
http://www.puresimplicity.net/~ldb/