[linux-audio-user] Microphone not working

Chris Welsh cpwe at deakin.edu.au
Wed Mar 5 16:37:00 EST 2003

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Unless you are using a preamp for your mic you will not have any gain
> so the only way you can get sound in is to shout very loudly into it
> while it is touching your mouth.
>
> Even then the mic will only pick up a very quiet noise.

Patrick and Daniel,

Thanks for your replies. My sound card has a microphone input so I had
assumed a normal unpowered microphone would be ok. But what you say
above does describe the symptons. I know for a fact the microphone is
not muted.
So is there a way to increase the micropnones gain? with aumix settings
on full and shouting only pruduces a tiny amount of sound.

Chris Welsh

here are some details

mandrake 9.0
Microphone 30 -16,000hz
2.2K Ohm
0db=1 V/Pa at 1Khz-58dB
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP with VIA8233 (AC97 controller)

/etc/modules.conf
# ALSA native device support
#alias char-major-116 snd
#alias snd-card-0 snd-card-via8233
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx
above snd-via82xx snd-pcm-oss

alias eth0 8139too
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1

# # OSS/Free setup
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

lsmod:

[root at homematrix etc]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: PF
lp                      6720   0  (unused)
parport_pc             21672   1
parport                23936   1  [lp parport_pc]
ipt_TOS                  984  12  (autoclean)
ipt_MASQUERADE          1272   1  (autoclean)
ipt_LOG                 3384   4  (autoclean)
ipt_REJECT              2744   4  (autoclean)
ipt_state                568  52  (autoclean)
iptable_mangle          2072   1  (autoclean)
ip_nat_irc              2384   0  (unused)
ip_nat_ftp              2992   0  (unused)
iptable_nat            15224   3  [ipt_MASQUERADE ip_nat_irc ip_nat_ftp]
ip_conntrack_irc        3056   1
ip_conntrack_ftp        3952   1
ip_conntrack           18400   4  [ipt_MASQUERADE ipt_state ip_nat_irc
ip_nat_ftp iptable_nat ip_conntrack_irc ip_conntrack_ftp]
iptable_filter          1644   1  (autoclean)
ip_tables              11672  10  [ipt_TOS ipt_MASQUERADE ipt_LOG
ipt_REJECT ipt_state iptable_mangle iptable_nat iptable_filter]
ppp_deflate            41024   1  (autoclean)
bsd_comp                4344   0  (autoclean)
floppy                 49340   0  (autoclean)
binfmt_misc             5696   1
vmnet                  21632   6
vmmon                  20692   0  (unused)
nfsd                   66576   8  (autoclean)
lockd                  46480   1  (autoclean) [nfsd]
sunrpc                 60188   1  (autoclean) [nfsd lockd]
ipsec                 242688   2
snd-pcm-oss            36420   1
snd-mixer-oss          11800   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-via82xx            10348   1
snd-pcm                55264   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-via82xx]
snd-timer               9932   0  [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         29896   0  [snd-via82xx]
snd-mpu401-uart         2736   0  [snd-via82xx]
snd-rawmidi            12832   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device          3904   0  [snd-rawmidi]
snd                    29516   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-via82xx
snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi
snd-seq-device]
soundcore               3780   0  [snd]
ppp_async               7456   1
ppp_generic            20064   3  [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
slhc                    5072   1  [ppp_generic]
af_packet              13000   1  (autoclean)
8139too                14472   1  (autoclean)
mii                     1152   0  (autoclean) [8139too]
supermount             14340   2  (autoclean)
ide-scsi                8212   0
scsi_mod               90372   1  [ide-scsi]
ide-cd                 28712   0
cdrom                  26848   0  [ide-cd]
usb-uhci               21676   0  (unused)
usbcore                58304   1  [usb-uhci]
rtc                     6560   0  (autoclean)
ext3                   74004   3
jbd                    38452   3  [ext3]

/etc/.aumixrc
vol:100:100:P
pcm:100:100:P
speaker:100:0:P
line:100:100:P
mic:100:100:R
cd:100:100:P
igain:99:99:P
line1:100:100:P
phin:100:0:R
phout:99:0:P
video:100:100:P

settings:
[cris at homematrix cris]$ amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 16 [52%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 16 [52%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Master Mono',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Center',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 15
  Mono: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Depth',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 15
  Mono: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Switch',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 21 [68%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 21 [68%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Surround Down Mix',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Center',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Center/LFE Down Mix',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 5 [16%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 5 [16%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line-In As Surround',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 12 [39%] [on] Capture [on]
  Front Right: Playback 12 [39%] [on] Capture [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic As Center/LFE',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Select',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Video',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 11 [35%] [on]
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Input Monitor',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Output',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Mono: 3 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 15
  Mono: Playback 8 [53%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 11 [35%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 11 [35%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mono Output Select',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 15
  Front Left: Capture 4 [27%] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 4 [27%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix Mono',0
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
  Capture exclusive group: 0
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Analog to IEC958 Output',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Duplicate Front',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Exchange Center/LFE',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'External Amplifier Power Down',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Input Source Select',0
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Input Source Select',1
  Capabilities:
  Mono:
[cris at homematrix cris]$ amixer | grep MIC
[cris at homematrix cris]$ amixer | grep mute
[...]
[cris at homematrix cris]$  amixer scontrols
[...]
[cris at homematrix cris]$  amixer controls
numid=9,iface=MIXER,name='Master Mono Playback Switch'
numid=10,iface=MIXER,name='Master Mono Playback Volume'
numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='Master Playback Switch'
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='Master Playback Volume'
numid=34,iface=MIXER,name='3D Control - Center'
numid=35,iface=MIXER,name='3D Control - Depth'
numid=31,iface=MIXER,name='3D Control - Switch'
numid=26,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Switch'
numid=27,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Volume'
numid=42,iface=MIXER,name='Surround Down Mix'
numid=7,iface=MIXER,name='Surround Playback Switch'
numid=8,iface=MIXER,name='Surround Playback Volume'
numid=43,iface=MIXER,name='Center/LFE Down Mix'
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='Center Playback Switch'
numid=4,iface=MIXER,name='Center Playback Volume'
numid=5,iface=MIXER,name='LFE Playback Switch'
numid=6,iface=MIXER,name='LFE Playback Volume'
numid=45,iface=MIXER,name='Line-In As Surround'
numid=18,iface=MIXER,name='Line Playback Switch'
numid=19,iface=MIXER,name='Line Playback Volume'
numid=20,iface=MIXER,name='CD Playback Switch'
numid=21,iface=MIXER,name='CD Playback Volume'
numid=46,iface=MIXER,name='Mic As Center/LFE'
numid=17,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Boost (+20dB)'
numid=33,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Select'
numid=15,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Playback Switch'
numid=16,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Playback Volume'
numid=13,iface=MIXER,name='Phone Playback Switch'
numid=14,iface=MIXER,name='Phone Playback Volume'
numid=22,iface=MIXER,name='Video Playback Switch'
numid=23,iface=MIXER,name='Video Playback Volume'
numid=11,iface=MIXER,name='PC Speaker Playback Switch'
numid=12,iface=MIXER,name='PC Speaker Playback Volume'
numid=24,iface=MIXER,name='Aux Playback Switch'
numid=25,iface=MIXER,name='Aux Playback Volume'
numid=32,iface=MIXER,name='Mono Output Select'
numid=28,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
numid=29,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Switch'
numid=30,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Volume'
numid=49,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Input Monitor'
numid=36,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Con Mask'
numid=37,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Pro Mask'
numid=40,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA'
numid=38,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Default'
numid=39,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Switch'
numid=47,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Capture Switch'
numid=53,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Output Switch'
numid=48,iface=MIXER,name='Analog to IEC958 Output'
numid=41,iface=MIXER,name='Duplicate Front'
numid=44,iface=MIXER,name='Exchange Center/LFE'
numid=50,iface=MIXER,name='External Amplifier Power Down'
numid=51,iface=MIXER,name='Input Source Select'
numid=52,iface=MIXER,name='Input Source Select',index=1