[linux-audio-user] Audio routing software

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 04:53:00 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 08:46:12 +0100, Kristof Pelckmans wrote:
> > I wonder if it is now possible to make aRTsd use the pcm_jack plugin?
> > That would allow you to use all sound apps through aRTsd and JACK at one
> > time.
> As I understand, using all these frameworks introduces a third layer :
> - player (connects to jack, artsd, ...)
> - connector (eg jack that connects to the real device)
> - driver (for instance alsa)
> Is there a way to influence the behavior of the second layer (I would name it the connector) while playing a sound ? This is what I need in order to perform 'live' routing.

Yes, you can rewire jack connections on the fly using jackconnect
(commandline), or qjackconnect (QT). There are probably other things that
can do it as well.

There is an ALSA-JACK plugin that can route the output of any ALSA program
to JACK, but I expect you can everything you need with native jack apps.

- Steve