[linux-audio-user] Problem with jackd

Tim Hall tim at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Wed Mar 12 06:46:01 EST 2003

Hi
I'm interested in your problem, but I'm a newbie who's just been wrestling
with a similar problem, so don't take anything I say as definitive.

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 10:34, Raphaël Haberer-Proust wrote:

> when I launch jackd, I have the same error messages:
>
> titanium:~# jackd -d alsa -d powermac
> jackd 0.50.0
> Copyright 2001-2002 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

> creating alsa driver ... powermac|1024|2|48000|swmon|rt
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:866:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c failed:
> No such file or directory ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm
> cannot load driver module alsa
> jack main caught signal 15

Your card does not have capture capability, or very many devices at all!
advice I was given on this matter: [thanks Bob]
If you do "jackd -d alsa --help" you'll get a list of options
for the alsa driver.  Try giving it -P (which makes it use playback mode
so it won't try and set up capture.)

> alsamixer works fine, I also tried to rmmod all the modules that have
> "oss" in their name, no change. These are the modules that are loaded:
>
> titanium:~# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> snd-seq-oss            32592   0  (unused)
> snd-seq-midi-event      3952   0  [snd-seq-oss]
> snd-seq                52760   2  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]
> snd-pcm-oss            56948   0  (unused)
> snd-mixer-oss          16608   1  [snd-pcm-oss]
> snd-usb-audio          48528   0  (unused)
> snd-rawmidi            18256   0  [snd-usb-audio]
> snd-seq-device          5668   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]
> snd-powermac           42756   1
> snd-pcm                81808   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-usb-audio
> snd-powermac] snd-timer              15232   0  [snd-seq snd-pcm]
> snd                    46220   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event
> snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-usb-audio snd-rawmidi
> snd-seq-device snd-powermac snd-pcm snd-timer] soundcore
> 4584   5  [snd]

I don't _think_ you want to remove the alsa oss compatibility modules, all
the modules with snd- prefix are alsa modules.

Good Luck

tim hall