[linux-audio-user] Collaboration

Levi Burton donburton at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 13 19:48:00 EST 2003

On Thursday 13 March 2003 06:23 pm, Levi Burton wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was just curious if anyone on the list has attempted to collaborate
> musicly? By "collaborate" I mean sharing of things such as "tracks" of
> audio (I would assume this is the prefered method, unless MIDI is utilized
> and everyone has the same hardware - doubtfull).
>
> I would think this sort of thing would be easy.  Simply decide on a musical
> theme (mood, BPM, etc etc), and have at it.

Well, it would be easy until bandwidth and resources are considered.  44.1
audio would be consume massive resources as far as storage and transfers are
concerned.  Perhaps a bad idea.  Maybe not, though, if audio data can be
organized in chunks and looped.  Another possibility is utilizing Sound Fonts
and MIDI - this would reduce the need for large audio files (you would only
need a large Sound Font).

Just "thinking out loud" =)

--
Levi Burton