[linux-audio-user] Collaboration

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Mon Mar 17 10:17:01 EST 2003

> If one of the goals is to show non-linux people music made with, shouldn't
> it be easy and free at the beginning?

I think it should be free for listeners - but that bandwidth bill still has to
be paid somehow. I guess you could ask for donations from music downloaders,
but I don't think that would cover costs.

> With the same goal, is ogg a good
> idea? Yes I know it's free as in freedom, and mp3 isn't.

I think you could offer oggs as first choice and then mp3 as an option for
those who want it.

> For the bandwidth,
> maybe it's a stupid idea, but what bout a P2P network?

It's not a stupid idea, but I don't know how you'd make a clear seperation
between legitimate files that it's OK to redistribute, and unauthorised
copyrighted music - excepting by linking the files to some kind of free music
licence. Or a tag that says 'made with Linux(tm)'

And I'm not sure how it would work to show off the Linux-made music - as I
understand it, people who use P2P are searching for files by known artists. I
guess you could put our music on an FTP site and say 'share this music with
your friends, by any means at your disposal...'

Cheers

Daniel