[linux-audio-user] New Machine

Darren Landrum consul at studioconsul.net
Tue Mar 18 23:34:00 EST 2003

Mark Knecht writes:

> I certainly think EIDE drives are basically fast enough today for
> smaller systems, and with 1394 drive kits, you can take an EIDE drive
> and make it 1394 in a matter of minutes should you ever want to.
>
> 1394 is the lowest raw-throughput performance of all 3, but overall I
> find it works very well for me. (FYI - I have not done enough Linux
> based recording to tell people to ONLY go this way, but I Can say that
> about 1394 under Windows.)

As I understand it, Firewire drives are basically ATA drives with a 1394
adapter built in to them. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, although
I have heard of so-called "native" Firewire drives.
According to Apple, Jon Anderson is recording his next album using 1394
disks and a Macintosh. If it's good enough for him... :-)
-- Darren