[linux-audio-user] Distro choice :)

luis jure ljure at multitel.com.uy
Wed Mar 19 06:49:00 EST 2003

el Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:23:33 +0100
Vincent Touquet <vincent.touquet at pandora.be> escribió:

> Planet CCRMA looks very promising, it even includes a low latency
> patched kernel :) (anyone having experience with this distro ?).

planet ccrma is not a linux distribution in itself, it's a collection of
audio and music related packages specially built for the redhat
distribution.

that means you have to install redhat first (there are packages for 7.3 and
for 8.0), then install and configure apt-rpm, and you are ready to go. apt
takes care of everything, and the process is easy and very well documented.

the packages are very well built, and it's extremely easy to install
everything. i installed it two-three times, and everything works, with a
good internet connection you can have your system up and running in a
couple of hours.

fernando lopez-lescano is doing a great job indeed. the most obvious
advantages of the collection are:

- it's complete: virtually everything worth having in audio and music is
there

- it's up to date: fernando's goal is to have latest version of every
package.

- it's easy: everything is automated and works together, since you know
there's somebody taking care of the consistency of the system.

the main disadvantage is that it's made specifically for redhat, the
packages are no good for other distributions. personally i don't like
redhat and never liked it, that's one of the reasons why i don't use planet
ccrma myself. but don't pay any attention to my opinion, i don't like _any_
distribution for that matter, and i'm using linuxfromscratch. i never tried
gentoo, but from what i've read i would consider it a second option, but
you say you find it too complicated this is obviously not the way for you.

so, if you can suffer redhat, i would say planet ccrma is definitely the
way to go.

good luck

lj