[linux-audio-user] Vocal removal?

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 11:19:01 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 11:47:05AM +0700, Darren Landrum wrote:
> Sorry if this question has been posed before, but I couldn't find anything
> in a search of the archives.
> I have a friend that needs to remove the vocals in one of her own songs
> (due to a conflict in getting the masters back that is too long of a story
> to go into right now). Are there any good Linux tools for this task?

The only way you can remove vocals from a stereo mix relies on the
assumption that the vocal is simply panned dead centre and preferably
that the backing components are all panned well to the left or right.
Then you can make a mono signal of L - R in which the the vocal
component is cancelled out and the remainder may or may not be
satisfactory to use as a backing.

I'm sure Audacity will do that without any trouble, as will any
other general purpose multi track editing and mixing tool.

Note that any revereration applied to the vocal will almost certainly
have different L and R components so you will still have the vocal
reverb in the result.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk