[linux-audio-user] Similar apps on linux??

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Tue Mar 25 06:48:00 EST 2003

Angel Gabriel wrote:
> Coming from a windows setup, I'm familiar with Cubase, CakeWalk,
> GigaSampler, Fruity Loops, and the like. Are there any similar apps
> for linux??

Not really.

But there are some apps that can do similar things in different
ways, and some that might one day be somewhat similar.

Rosegarden-4 (http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/ -- the
project I work on) and MusE are "somewhat like" Cubase in that
they're MIDI/audio sequencers with various editing modes.  Swami
is a nice SoundFont editor, FluidSynth a nice SoundFont synthesizer
that integrates with it, together they make up a nice sample-based
synth management system.  Hydrogen is a rather cool software drum
machine.  Ardour is a rather serious multitrack audio recorder.
All of the above can talk to one another: you can power Hydrogen
and FluidSynth from Rosegarden-4, feed audio back into Rosegarden
or record the results using Ardour, and so on.  And most of these
apps support the LADSPA plugin architecture.

Actually setting all that up and keeping it working can be quite a
challenge at the moment, but the foundations are pretty impressive.

Chris