[linux-audio-user] advice hardware + planet ccrma

Jane DT jdennett at science.uva.nl
Tue Mar 25 16:49:00 EST 2003

Hello,

We are in need of some advice about (i) whether our existing hardware is
suitable for installing planet, mainly for streaming purposes. (ii)
recommendation of a cheap soundcard. any advice would be very gratefully
received.

We are running a community show on a local radio in an open space right
now, and are broadcasting on FM, via the stream. mp3/ogg. The stream is
64k. That is really the entire purpose of a machine we are thinking about
installing here. There is a machine that we can dedicate than this: it
would have no other purpose really.

We would like to install ccrma, but have the following system, and wonder
if it can cope, and whether ccrma is capable of dealing with it:

it is a double processor: 2x133, 64mb. can this cope with live 64k
encoding? and can the RH planet ccmra cope with the double processor?

We are a volunteer grassroots project and have a very little budget (our
equipmednt is donated, hence the system above). Could someone advise on a
sound card for under $50? (either for this machine or another)

thanks very much for any help!
please could you mail me directly as well as the list (its very hectic
here as we're on this every day at he moment).

jane